Spanish as part of the curriculum
At Spanish Amigos we share the core-value points of the national curriculum for the language programme which states that teaching should:
- Focus on developing the breadth and depth of pupils competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing, based on a sound foundation of core grammar and vocabulary.
- Enable pupils to understand and communicate personal and factual information that goes beyond their immediate needs and interests, developing and justifying points of view in speech and writing, with increased spontaneity, independence and accuracy.
- Provide suitable preparation for further study.
We have developed a curriculum in Spanish that is friendly with the curriculum of other subjects while still providing high quality and meaningful learning. Children learn through a multi-sensory approach that stimulates their natural learning style. As well as fun, Spanish Amigos provides a methodical language program adjusted to the learning ability of different age groups and levels. We are implementing the use of new technologies in teaching foreign languages though the use of Hola Amigos of Instituto Cervantes the highest national institution for the Spanish language.
A New report from the British Council identifies Spanish as the most vital language in the UK over the next 20 years
The new report from the British Council called, Languages for the Future identifies Spanish as the language most vital in the UK over the next 20 years. There is a traditional predisposition to teach French in the UK, and it might be a comfortable option as well, but we have to look further and think about the future of the children. There is some work to do but it will pay off in the future on the children that we are aiming to teach.
Our core values
- To provide a quality and meaningful teaching programme.
- Teaching programmes will be both structured and enjoyable.
- Every pupil will be treated as an individual with specific work programme.
- To accelerate learning for both immediate use and for further personal development.
- We aim to build confidence.
- Create enthusiasm for language learning.
- to enable continuity and progression with an added cultural side.
In addition to the language aspect, there is a cultural side which opens a new world for the students, providing a cultural experience.
We teach through a multisensory approach:
- Visual learning.
- Auditory learning.
- Physical learning.
- Total Involvement.
Our method and materials have been tested for more than 10 years. With this being said, we do believe in the evolution of teaching and try to develop new methodology and ideas all the time since our society is evolving we do it as well. We are very flexible and able to adjust to specific requirements from the schools.
Every term we see 2 different units.
Children will start the journey through Spanish and at the end of the first term in Y3 term they will be able to:
- To recognise and respond to sound patterns and words.
- To perform simple communicative tasks using single words, phrases and short sentences.
- To recognise some familiar words in written form.
- To recognise question forms.
- To imitate pronunciation.
By the end of Y6 they will be able to:
- Recognise and respond to basic questions.
- Communicate basic ideas in Spanish.
- Understand basic commands.
- Write basic sentences.
- Use some past tenses.
Please Contact us if you would like to receive a sample of our materials.
- Using the latest methodology tendencies in teaching a foreign language.
- Using activities that develop the cultural and linguistic competency though motivational content adequate for each level/age
- Using linked content with the general curriculum
- With open diversity values and promote the intercultural conscious
- Active methodology challenging the student through new technologies, fun learning and team work.
We believe in the specialization of language teachers. Our teachers are native Spanish speakers from different countries (Spain, Mexico, Chile, Argentina and so more). They are highly motivated, qualified, experienced and always willing to learn.
They are trained in the Spanish Amigos methodology and attend regularly seminars to continue developing their skills to the highest standards.
Trips to Spain
As part of the experience of learning Spanish we organize school trips to one of the few Instituto Cervantes certified Centres in Spain. Please let us know if you are interested about this exciting experience and we can provide you with more information.
Transition from French to Spanish
We know it can look like a lot of work or it can be scary to switch languages but we sort out everything for the school. We provide a service where we teach the French classes meanwhile the integrate Spanish at early stages. This way there is no interruption in the learning of French and the current students can finish Y6 with the standards of French required.
At the same time, we start teaching Spanish in Y3 and follow them in the process to a smooth implementation of the language though all levels.
Please Contact us for more details